PDA

View Full Version : Netherley

Kev
10-01-2008, 01:32 PM
RESIDENTS have celebrated the 40th birthday of what was once one of Liverpool?s most notorious estates.

Netherley was built on farmland on the edge of Gateacre four decades ago for tenants moved out of unfit housing in Liverpool city centre.

But the promise of better housing gave way to damp, vermin-ridden conditions and unsafe concrete walkways and underpasses.

Eventually, many of Netherley?s flats and maisonettes were demolished in the 1980s to make way for new houses, and more recently, a shopping centre and leisure facilities were built.

Residents recently marked the anniversary with a community party, and guests included veteran campaigner Eric Hodkinson, who once went on a hunger strike to highlight Netherley?s problems.

The 73-year-old grandfather shared his memories of the estate, at one time labelled ?a planner?s dream and a tenant?s nightmare?, but now home to 8,000 people.

Mr Hodkinson, who is now a board member of Lee Valley Housing and chairman of Liverpool Tenants? Association, said: ?Netherley has changed dramatically in its 40-year history. In the early days, we had to suffer insanitary conditions, as well as poverty, crime, drug addicts and squalor.

?My actions at the time were seen as extreme, but it was the only way to draw attention to the housing conditions we all had to suffer.?

As a tenant in the 1970s, Mr Hodkinson and his family endured appalling conditions in flats in Brittarge Brow.

He eventually set up camp in St John?s park, in the city centre, where he went on hunger strike for two weeks to draw attention to his and his neighbours? plight.

Lee Valley Housing took over management of council properties in 2003, making improvements to 1,700 homes.

About 1,000 people enjoyed the birthday party, which was supported by the housing association.

St Gregory?s youth and community project, Woodland community centre, the Christian Revival centre and Christ Church community group joined forces to put on the event.

Jo Hallmark, neighbourhood housing officer, said: ?The 40th anniversary was a great way to get everyone together to celebrate the turn around of a once-blighted estate.

?We are hoping to set up an active tenants group in Netherley and make the party an annual event.?

tinamiles@liverpoolecho.co.uk

Max
10-01-2008, 01:45 PM
June and July this year was the first time I cycled to Netherly to get to Tarbuck Green on Nertherly Road and Netherly's still pretty dumpy. Had Chavs shouting give me yer bike and ayou can't see them without cans of ale.

Spike
10-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Oh man i remember the flats, they where a nightmare. A lad i went to school with was killed riding above one of the lifts. The place is much nicer now then it was back then. Anyone remember the Stunt rider who jumped across the flats on a motorbike?

lindylou
10-01-2008, 04:11 PM
No, but I remember hearing about that case of a lad being killed on the lifts :eek:

julie123
10-01-2008, 04:13 PM
My brother lived on the Netherley Estate; Mardale Walk I think it was. He had a young family and I used to babysit, being quite a bit younger than him. I always thought it was quite exciting then. There was always something going on; they had regular summer fetes and stuff for the kids to do in the summertime. There was a farm with horses on and I'm sure my bro bought one for the kids but they soon tired of it and it was bought back. That was nearly 30 years ago now. Who can afford a horse now?

Happy days I'd say!

Joo
01-30-2010, 12:54 PM
(I know this is an old thread, but couldn't resist!)...

I use to live in one of the flats, with my family, and we got flooded out (I was 5 or 6 at the time!) Some locals youths stole the lead from the pipes! Does anyone remember this?? We moved to Lee Park flats which wasn't as bad, they've now pulled those down, too. Does anyone remember whether the golf course is still there? A few of us use to collect the golf balls that had managed to go over the permiter of the fence.

I'm sure it's all changed a lot since then!

lindylou
01-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Hello Joo. Did you take any photos of the area ? I don't think we have any pics of Netherley on the forum.

RonnieW
01-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Netherley and District Writers Workshop was one of the most active on Merseyside in the late 70s.

Spike
01-30-2010, 09:45 PM
I remember Lee Park Flats. We knew a girl called Penny and someone dropped a 2p coin from the flats and it hit her in the head. Everyone sang " Pennies From Heaven" to her.

Golf course is still there. When did you live there Joo? I lived not far from there.

Ged
01-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Netherley Flats.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1930/netherleyflats.jpg (http://img231.imageshack.us/i/netherleyflats.jpg/)

Pics of them being demolished on my site too.

LRO.

Spike
01-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Ged have you got a pic of that 2p coin?

Ged
01-30-2010, 10:17 PM
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1442/twopencecoin.jpg (http://img202.imageshack.us/i/twopencecoin.jpg/)

Sorry it's a bit battered, it's where it hit her head.

Spike
01-30-2010, 10:28 PM
OOh Ta Ged

brings back the memories

Norm NZ
01-31-2010, 01:43 AM
Ged's photo of those flats looks like a prison , glad to see they were demolished!!!

Ged
01-31-2010, 12:38 PM
I believe Gerard Crescent had the longest single unbroken length of landing until these were built.

Spike
01-31-2010, 01:03 PM
I believe Gerard Crescent had the longest single unbroken length of landing until these were built.

Those horrible flats they had on the Belle Vale estate had a landing running the whole length of them. It joined them all together. They were ugly flats. Any pics amywhere of them?

Ged
01-31-2010, 01:06 PM
It is those ones I mean sorry Spike, I was getting mixed up.

Spike
01-31-2010, 01:11 PM
They were pig ugly them Ged. did not last long. Not sure of lifespan, but must have been up and down in 15 years.

Ged
01-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Yes, like the Radcliffe Estate in Everton. I wonder if the town planners got any penalties against them for being plain rubbish.

pablo42
01-31-2010, 01:19 PM
Yes, like the Radcliffe Estate in Everton. I wonder if the town planners got any penalties against them for being plain rubbish.

They never do.

lindylou
01-31-2010, 01:20 PM

I knew someone who lived on the Radcliffe estate. It was awful and run down.
Isn't that the one that they said was modelled on a 'Cornish fishing village' design ! ?

Also, the Queens Rd estate (off Breck rd) was supposedly designed after a Swedish style :rolleyes:

- - or it was the other way around - I think it was the Radcliffe that was the 'Cornish village' ha! it does make you laugh :rolleyes: they were terrible ugly estates.

Ged
01-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Yes Lindy, it was the Radcliffe estate based on the Cornish fishing village. The only problem was - no water up in Radcliffe Walk, no fishing rods, fishermen or fish. The dark intersection of walkways made it a muggers paradise and the police had to park up and try and catch us eeerrr I Mean them on foot (only kidding there of course)

Fire engines and ambulances couldn't get in either as it was all pedestrianised. Not very well thought out at all really.

Loads of pics here, about a third of the way down if you use the scroll bar on the right or use Control F on your keyboard and type Radcliffe into the little find box that pops up.

http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=41897456&cr=7

Spike
01-31-2010, 01:51 PM
Bloomin Eck Belle Vale flats were unpopular...I cant find a pic of it anywhere on the web. To ugly to photo.

Spike
01-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Liverpool One looks a bit like Belle Vale in the 70's/80's

lindylou
01-31-2010, 07:27 PM
Yes Lindy, it was the Radcliffe estate based on the Cornish fishing village. The only problem was - no water up in Radcliffe Walk, no fishing rods, fishermen or fish. The dark intersection of walkways made it a muggers paradise and the police had to park up and try and catch us eeerrr I Mean them on foot (only kidding there of course)

Fire engines and ambulances couldn't get in either as it was all pedestrianised. Not very well thought out at all really.

Loads of pics here, about a third of the way down if you use the scroll bar on the right or use Control F on your keyboard and type Radcliffe into the little find box that pops up.

http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=41897456&cr=7

I just looked on your site Ged. That Radcliffe estate was grim ! makes you wonder what the heck these planners are thinking of !! what a disaster it was, and a waste of money.

lindylou
01-31-2010, 07:28 PM
Bloomin Eck Belle Vale flats were unpopular...I cant find a pic of it anywhere on the web. To ugly to photo.

back on topic -
I've never seen any pictures on the net of Netherley.

Kev
01-31-2010, 07:34 PM
back on topic -

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?3894-Netherley-Flats

lindylou
01-31-2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks kev, never thought to search in here first !! http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/rubinda/avatars/lol.gif

.. should have known there's nothin' that Yo don't have :)

underworld
01-31-2010, 08:05 PM
Oh man i remember the flats, they where a nightmare. A lad i went to school with was killed riding above one of the lifts. The place is much nicer now then it was back then. Anyone remember the Stunt rider who jumped across the flats on a motorbike?

John Taylor was his name. I knew of him.

Middlemass Hey - Awful place!

Spike
01-31-2010, 08:08 PM
back on topic -

Its not off topic the flats were right by each other.

underworld
01-31-2010, 08:08 PM
I knew someone who lived on the Radcliffe estate. It was awful and run down.
Isn't that the one that they said was modelled on a 'Cornish fishing village' design ! ?

Also, the Queens Rd estate (off Breck rd) was supposedly designed after a Swedish style :rolleyes:

- - or it was the other way around - I think it was the Radcliffe that was the 'Cornish village' ha! it does make you laugh :rolleyes: they were terrible ugly estates.

Henglers Circus, another place I worked in my former life. Drug city!

Spike
01-31-2010, 08:14 PM
Mal Hudson was the guy who jumped across the flats in Netherley on a motorbike.

underworld
01-31-2010, 08:20 PM
Mal Hudson was the guy who jumped across the flats in Netherley on a motorbike.

So did John Taylor although I think he broke his leg or something. He was from Norris Green.

http://merseysidebikers.com/newforum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1037

Ged
01-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Henglers Circus, another place I worked in my former life. Drug city!

We used to play in there on a monday night c1980.

Wato
02-17-2010, 08:21 PM
I lived in both Netherley and Belle vale flats. Middlemass hey in the early 70's and Dauntsey walk in Belle vale late 70's and it never effected me did it ? well it did a bit, did it ? well maybe... you are talking to the monitor again, oh I am arn't I, stop it... no.

I suppose when your six/seven you just sort of accept the place for what it was and find as many places to have fun as possible. Now, when you reminisce, It's always rose coloured glasses anyway. That said in reality it was squalor and no way for human beings to live.

By the way Eddie Kidd jumped those flats too, or was supposed too, in the 80's opposite where the kids new footy fields are now. I dont remember seeing him do it, I'd found out about ladies by then, :unibrow: and one day I'm going to catch on of em. :disgust:

Debra
02-17-2010, 08:45 PM
My auntie lived in Peckmill Green , they were put there when Heyworth street was knocked down .. I used to spend some of my school holidays there , i thought it was the countryside ..

carmaxsam
02-23-2010, 12:10 AM
i lived in netherly fulshaw close in the flats it was great the people were friendly and it was safe to walk around why is everybody putting the place down it is worse now than it ever was

carmaxsam
02-23-2010, 12:12 AM
nice pic wato

pablo42
02-23-2010, 12:14 AM
nice pic wato

You mean his Avatar...

It is...

Debra
02-23-2010, 12:14 AM
i lived in netherly fulshaw close in the flats it was great the people were friendly and it was safe to walk around why is everybody putting the place down it is worse now than it ever was

I loved it there , the houses seemed massive comparared to where i lived , and they had two toilets .

RonnieW
02-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Does anyone remember the Netherley Nutters? They were a band who went around pubs collecting for charity in the 1970s. There must have been twenty or thirty of them with side drums, accordions, concertinas, kazoos, combs and paper, spoons and whatever else was playable. They would turn up, play a few tunes, go around with the hat and move on.

Ged
02-24-2010, 11:24 AM
The Netherley Nutters. I thought you were talking about my in-laws family from Brittage Brow then ha ha.

RonnieW
02-24-2010, 08:47 PM
The Netherley Nutters. I thought you were talking about my in-laws family from Brittage Brow then ha ha.

Good one! Although I never lived in Netherley, I knew quite a few people who did. I went to night school at Netherley Comp and got an English 'O' Level, went to the Radio Doom doscos, joind the Netherley Anti Nazi League and the Writers Workshop, watched some amateur plays at the Community Centre and sometimes went for a pint with my dad when he went to meet his mates at the British Legion. It was a lively place in the 70s.

underworld
02-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Skellington fold! I wonder who dreams up these names and how much they get paid for them.